Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My New and Improved Artist Statement

I've always found it difficult to write an artist statement. Talking about myself in a serious manner seems strange and I always use the same words repeatedly. However, thanks to an artist statement generator, all I had to do was plug in a few keywords that I wanted to use to describe myself, and out came this beautiful, sophisticated and accurate statement...for your viewing pleasure :)

(P.S., this will look great when I'm trying to find a job.)

Through my work I attempt to examine the phenomenon of Princess Mononoke as a metaphorical interpretation of both Annie Leibovitz and porch-sitting.

What began as a personal journey of shitism has translated into images of donuts and forearms that resonate with Asian people to question their own blackness.

My mixed media Buddha statue embodies an idiosyncratic view of Gandhi, yet the familiar imagery allows for a connection between Elizabeth Taylor, dreadlocks and tortilla chips.

My work is in the private collection of Ted Lange who said 'Great-grandmother's spatula!, that's some real sexy art.'

I am a recipient of a grant from Folsom Prison where I served time for stealing mugs and tie clips from the gift shop of The Museum of Sex. I have exhibited in group shows at KFC and Space Gallery, though not at the same time. I currently spend my time between my bathroom and Berlin.

1 comment: