Sunday, March 7, 2010

Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans

I just got back from my spring break trip in New Orleans doing Habitat for Humanity. I had no idea at the beginning of the week how much the trip would affect me. I know now that when I graduate, I definitely want to join AmeriCorps and hopefully work full-time with Habitat.

Getting to build a home for someone who lost everything and getting to meet them is absolutely incredible. The experience was well worth the lack of sleep and the 8 hours of intense labor throughout the day because I now have such a new, revitalized view of life and I am ready to do more work with Habitat this summer!

Here are some photos I took during the week.



Season Swanson, a single mother, is currently in the process of obtaining her Habitat home. She was on site working with Point Park students in St. Tammany West last week.



Steve, aka Speedy, works on siding for a shed.


Spray-paint on homes in New Orleans reveals the number of victims from that household.

Ronald Lewis, the founder of the House of Dance and Feathers, is striving to preserve the culture of New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment