Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Destination: Hawaii




This summer, I will be traveling to Hawaii where I will be documenting a summer camp for homeless children organized by the Christmas Wish Program. For ten days, I will be traveling with teen mentors and their "keiki" as they explore the islands.

I am a little more than halfway to my plane ticket, but still have $1,100 to go to finance the program costs. I am asking for help from anyone who is able to give, but I understand now is not the easiest time for donating. If you are able to donate, however, you can visit www.firstgiving.com/chelseyengel.

Most people don't think of Hawaii as a place of poverty, but the fact is it has the 5th highest poverty rate in the country. To help those affected, the Christmas Wish program provides year-round services to children allowing them to have as normal of a life as possible.

To learn more about this program and its founder, Magin Patrick, visit the link below to an article written in a Hawaiian newspaper.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Dec/24/ln/ln05p.html

No comments:

Post a Comment