Thursday, January 15, 2009

One of my favorite things...

Well, I'm going to be like Oprah in this post and introduce one of my favorite things- and no, it's not a book on spirituality, or the latest SUV, or a new diet. This is way better and way more real...protests.

We are lucky enough to live in a country where we can speak out against our government without being attacked...at least physically. If you have never attended one, it is hard to explain to you the impact of the experience. The power and the passion leaking from the participants is unimaginable.

I attended two protests in the past year- my first one was last April and it was a protest against the war, though it was technically called a peace rally in order to get the permit from the city. I went there to take photos with the my new camera at the time, but I ended up being taken over with the excitement of the protest that I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked to- even though I did get around 400 shots.


I also attended a Prop 8 protest this past October, and it was amazing. There weren't as many attendees as there were at the peace rally mainly because of the short notice and the horrific weather. The speakers were inspirational, and it was even more inspiring to see so many people from different walks of life-gay, straight, black, white- come together for the same cause.


Here are some photos from the peace rally last April.



Here are some photos from the Prop 8 protest this past October.


Those who think that people who participate in protests are just radical buffoons really need to rethink that thought. It is the right and the duty of the people to speak out against the government when they believe they are being treated unfairly. Those who do so are actually utilizing their rights, unlike people who sit at home and complain, yet do nothing.

God bless this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment